Thursday, January 12, 2017



Seoul Korea Temple

Jan 8 at 9:25 PM

Week 4 woohoo! I still know how to count (even if I use my fingers when I'm counting in Korean. Gosh dang this dual number system... But I'll get it. ^_^)

I hope everyone had a happy new year! Did you make all the goals in the whole world? More importantly, did you make a plan to reach those goals? My life has become nothing but goals. #선교사삶 Can I just say, it's a good feeling when you reach a goal? But the trick is, don't think about it! Set the goal, make the plan, then put your head down and work! Do all you can do to reach that goal. Then, even when you don't quite get it, or it wasn't as great as you thought it would be, you can still feel good about what you did do, because you did it your best.

... English is hard. And so is Korean. Hopefully I'll be able to speak at least one of them in a few months... ^_^ Also, when we're teaching the wonderful Korean people the confusing language of English... Yeah, it gets interesting. The best (and worst) is when we're working on pronunciation, and some of the sounds that we use in English don't exist in 한국말, so terrible me has to refrain from giggling. And I succeed! (Most of the time...)

I went on my first exchange this past week, which meant that I would be our area's senior companion for 24 hours. Not going to lie, I was a little nervous about it, but it turned out really well. Sister Call is a wonderful human being, and I'm glad she was so patient with my craziness. :)

And now I must fan girl about my companion, Sister Giles. I'm realizing that I haven't really talked about the area I'm serving, who I'm serving with, you know, my life, so I figured I should probably do that. Sister Giles is a quarter Korean, and she's basically a model. Not lying. It's a thing. But she is so humble, patient, and fun! She's teaching me how to be a missionary mostly by her example, but when she does have to say something to correct something, it's always with love and understanding. She knows things about life, and I'm very grateful.

I'm serving in 동대문 (Dongdaemun) zone, 동대문 ward, which is sort of toward the bottom left of the Korea Seoul Mission. My district is made up of Elder Polley and his trainee Elder Boren (in the MTC with me), Elder Cable and Elder Leituala (a couple of MTC districts older than me), and Sister Giles and I. We have a good time, serving the ward, serving the Lord.

My testimony is still growing. I'm still being converted. But what I do know is that when I testify of our Savior and Redeemer Jesus Christ, I feel happy, I feel powerful, I feel... somewhat invincible. I don't know exactly why, or how, that's possible, but it's a thing, and I'm grateful for it. I'm excited to become the kind of person I can become because of His atoning sacrifice. One of my favorite scriptures is Mosiah 24:14-15. Alma and his people were doing great, right? They had pretty much just been baptized, and then the Lamanites had to come along and be like, "I think we should put them under bondage. That's a good idea." When I first read that, I just sort of thought, "But bondage is a thing they do when Heavenly Father is punishing them, right?" And then I read verses 14 and 15, and I thought, "Ah, okay. The only way for them to really know what the enabling power of the Atonement was was for them to experience it, and a good way for them to experience was for them to be put under bondage." And that's what trials of faith are, aren't they? A chance for us to understand our Savior a little better? But that's where it may get a little tricky, since we first need to believe in Christ as our Savior and Redeemer. It's almost like taking a step on a curb in the dark (or to some it may seem like taking a step off a cliff). But He's waiting there for you to take the step so that He can catch you.

Yay Gospel!

Love,


Sister Chun

No comments:

Post a Comment