Thursday, November 3, 2016


Nov 2 at 2:55 PM
Hey everyone!

Life is good here at the MTC. This week was pretty fun. We watched a recording of a previous MTC devotional talk by Elder Bednar on Sunday; the recording included shots of the audience and guess who I saw?! Elder Hacking! It was nice. I kind of flipped out. Good to see a familiar face. :)

We met a really interesting elder the other day. His name is Elder Van Tonder (I think I'm remembering that correctly); his mom is Chinese, his dad is from South African, he was born in Paris, and grew up in London and lived most recently in Germany, from where he came to the MTC... Yeah. 

Sometimes I make poor choices, like trying to play volleyball at 6:45 in the morning, and the result is a jammed thumb, exacerbated by all the hand-shaking that happens. (Especially when I shake Brother Facer's hand, because his hands are giant, and I don't think he realizes how firm his handshakes are...) But it feels better now. :)

I sing all the time. I should probably calm down a little bit... It's just so subconscious! And fun! I really appreciate going to the MTC choir. It feels good to be a part of a musical group like that, and it helps that the choir director (whose name escapes me) is so great. Pretty much every rehearsal is a devotional just as spiritually uplifting as actual devotionals. Ees deh behst. 

Also, I guess I didn't realize how often I make weird facial expressions, and just how weird they are, because... I think my companions are a little embarrassed sometimes. ("Sometimes you embarrass me..." Name that movie!) But mostly it just makes us laugh, so that's good. 

Thank you to everyone who sent me things! I so appreciate it! Shout out to Lorin for the Halloween package; my companions and I will be enjoying the tootsie rolls for a while. :) And no worries, Uncle, I'm not smelling the Elders. xP

Okay, last week's final thought was a little rushed. That was my bad. I decided to write the weekly letter last, so I was a little pressed for time. Rest assured, I'm okay. I mean, I was freaking out, but I'm feeling a lot better about things. I guess I didn't really think about how... difficult this would be. The language is difficult, yes, but it's also... In one of the devotionals we had, the speaker talked about how the MTC is not the Language Learning Center: it's the Missionary Training Center. Learning how to be a missionary is SUPER important, and learning the language comes in a really close second (or, at least, it seems to me). Coming to the MTC, I didn't realize how hot this refiner's fire would be. 

So, after the difficult time I had last week, I have come to a conclusion: It all comes down to my choice. (That's part of the Plan of Salvation, right? We just studied that...) Bottom line: I just needed to decide if I would be converted unto the Lord. there's still a lot to do once I am committed--I don't think we'll ever really stop progressing and becoming like our Heavenly heritage--but committing is the first step. So! I'm happy to report that I'm committed, more so now that I was ante-mission. (I used that prefix correctly, right?) Plus, the MTC is so spiritually nourishing! there are so many opportunities to bear my testimony, study the gospel, teach the gospel, listen to others' testimonies... It's really quite amazing. We even have opportunities to hear the apostles of the Lord, like last night, when Elder Russel M. Nelson and his wife came to speak at the devotional. (That was pretty sweet.) I've had some derpy moments (quoting so much Nacho Libre...), but overall, it's SO amazing. I'm very grateful to be here; as difficult as it is, I love it. 

I love you all! Thank you for your thoughts and prayers!

Yours,

Sister Chun


PS - Auntie Andrea! I met Elder Granados! He's in the district just older than us, lovingly dubbed the "Chucklehead district." They're a little crazy, but also great mentors with the language and the ways of the MTC, especially when we first got here. They're pretty great to have around. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment