Sunday, April 2, 2017


Artwork on the ceiling of a guard house in Gyeongbokgung Palace in Seoul.
Maybe I will go there sometime!

Mar 19 at 11:09 PM

Oh my goodness my head exploded yesterday. Once upon a time the Chunsters (Scott and Andrea Chun family) hosted a foreign exchange student from Korea, Jun Park, and he just showed up at the church house yesterday. :D He explained that he had visited the Chunsters last month and they had given him something to bring back to me, and he found me! Yay Jun! And yay Chunsters! 과자를 잘먹겠습니다! ^^

The stake celebrated the 175 years of Relief Society on Saturday by throwing a big party and feeding everyone. It was fantastic. Each ward had prepared some kind of presentation: there was musical numbers, mini plays, full on dance numbers (turns out Koreans are pretty good dancers), and, of course, delicious food. Yay Korea!

In other news, the scriptures are fantastic, but I think you already knew that. And if you don't already know that, I would hope that you try to find out, because they're fantastic. I've started the Book of Mormon over again: can we talk for a second about how much of a boss Nephi is? Because is he a boss. I've never really noticed it before, but it seems like one of the focuses of Nephi's narratives is obedience, specifically to the commandments and to the promptings of the Spirit. (It could be that it just stands out to me because I'm a missionary right now.) But it seems like every other verse is Nephi talking about being obedient. One of the things I admire most about Nephi, and what, I think, sort of sets him apart from his brothers, is his go-get-'em attitude. You all may be familiar with 1 Nephi 3:7, or at least the Primary song, "I will go, I will do!..." That's what he does! He goes and does. When the Lord tells him he needs to build a boat it's not, "Aw, but that seems hard! I don't have any tools. I don't know how. You didn't tell Sam or Laman or Lemuel to build a boat!" (Although let's be honest, Laman and Lemuel weren't that great.) No! It was, "Okay, where do I go so that I can make tools?" Go Nephi!

I don't remember if I've talked about this before, but 2 Nephi 5:27 is a really good verse. This is after the Lamanites and the Nephites have split up. They go their separate ways because the Lamanites are total pooh-heads, and Nephi teaches and encourages his people to have that same go-and-do attitude: they're industrious, they work hard, and verse 27 says that they "lived after the manner of happiness." Elder Holland, when he visited in February, shed some light on this verse. It doesn't say that they were happy, it says that they lived after the manner of happiness, which Elder Holland submits is to live how happy people live. *mind-plosion* We can still be happy even though we'll have hard days, even though we'll have stress, even though we'll have seemingly insurmountable obstacles, emotionally, physically, spiritually. I believe that the gospel of Jesus Christ is manner of happiness. 

Of course, living the gospel of Jesus Christ--having faith in Him, repenting consistently and constantly, partaking of the Sacrament and making and keeping other covenants, and living worthy of the Holy Ghost and relying on His counsel--may require some sacrifice. It may mean giving up your favorite TV show, or missing a basketball game that's being played on Sunday; it certainly means putting aside what you want for you and focusing more on what God wants for you, but I really believe that when we do that--and it doesn't just happen, it takes some practice, weekly and even daily re-commiting--when we put aside ourselves and humbly ask God what He wants for us with the intent to follow through on His suggestions, He will not lead us astray. He may lead us through some hard times (or we may choose the harder path by not following Him), and that doesn't sound fun, but when we look back on it, it will be more worth it than anything we could have come up with on our own.

Okay, I think I'm done ranting now. Sorry, that's a lot to read. There's just so much good stuff to learn from the scriptures! Actually, it's sort of amazing how detailed you can get when you study: I spent an hour on one verse (Moroni 10:32), and probably could have studied it more. Yay scriptures!

Have a good week!

Love,


Sister Chun

No comments:

Post a Comment