Sunday, April 9, 2017


Apr 2 at 11:15 PM

This time a picture for Leanne!

Levi (far left) with his track buddies: pre-season kimpap (and pizza) feast!






Hurray for General Conference! Actually, that should probably be the opening for next week, since I haven't actually seen it yet, but that's okay! Repeats are okay, yes?

We performed a song in sacramament meeting. That was interesting. Actually, it went fairly well. Better than all the rehearsals, so at least we improved. Interesting fact, but first some background: the song that we sang is the If You Could Hie to Kolob/Come Thou Fount mash-up that was flying around the internet, sung by three sisters, really cool harmonies... you know the one, right? Well, I had the chance to sing that in the MTC as well, so we just re-used the sheet music. And here's the fun fact: the Elder who played the piano for us knows the family! Cool, huh?

I went on exchanges with Sister Wright, one of my MTC companions! IT WAS SO MUCH FUN! That girl is a miracle worker. She just goes for it. What an amazing example of courage and just... gumption. Hopefully we didn't weird too many people out. ^_^ Yay exchanges!

As usual, I learned something this week. Don't worry, I'm learning more than just one thing every week, every day in fact, but this is one I want to share with you. Where there is fear, there cannot be faith! But, because that statement is true, where there is faith, there cannot be fear! At least, that's how it's working out in my head. There's a fancy math term for those kind of statements, but seeing as how I almost failed Geometry (what? I mean, I passed with flying colors...), I'm hardly qualified to try and guess what it is, because I seriously don't remember. Any who...

Where there is faith, there cannot be fear. Just by the nature of each of those qualities, one cannot exist where the other does. There's a story in the New Testament that I really like that this statement makes me think of. Jairus, a prominent Jewish guy, comes seeking Jesus because his daughter is about to die. While they're on the way to Jairus' house, they're sort of delayed while the woman with an issue of blood is healed; while they're delayed, a servant of his house comes to tell Jairus that his daughter is dead and he needn't bother the master anymore. The first thing that Christ says to Jairus when they receive this news is, "Be not afraid, only believe." How wonderful, that that reassurance is something that Christ can offer us? Be not afraid, she will live again. Be not afraid, I have borne the weight of your sins. Be not afraid, only believe, just follow Me, and I will make you whole, I will help you bear the weight. You will be stronger, better, happier, but don't be afraid. That's what I get out of it anyway. How great is it, that we have a Savior who can say that to us? That there is a Plan for us, which means that we can face our fears and troubles head on, because He is by our side?

Now, that's all very well and good, but then I get out on the street, or I'm sitting on the subway, and I know I'm supposed to be talking to everyone, and everything that I could say (that I know how to say in Korean) seems like it's right at the tip of my tongue, and then... nothing. And they get off at the next station. Or they end up crossing the street and walking the other direction. What?! I've done that a couple of times, sadly, maybe more than I'd care to admit. But you know what? When I do just open my mouth (a term you hear a lot as a missionary), the words really do come. I smile at people, and they smile back. We have a nice conversation. I give them our number, or they give me theirs (one of the better-case scenarios, admittedly)... bottom line? It's not that bad. Whatever fears I thought I had disappear as soon as I just do it. So, in the future, from here on out, if I can just remember that my Savior is standing with me--because why would He call a bunch of relatively clueless 19, 20 year olds to do His work and then not help them--opening my mouth is not that bad.

The Church is doing an Easter initiative this year #PrinceofPeace. I know that when we study the Savior's life and His character, we really can find peace. What a precious gift to have, peace. There's a lot more to say about that, but time is running short. For now I'll just refer you to Mormon.org to look at all the cool videos and stuff. (The Church media production department is on point.)

I love you all! Be safe and have a good week!

Love,


Sister Chun

No comments:

Post a Comment