Monday, January 8, 2018

 Re: 8.5 Weekly letter

·      
예수님! [Yesu-nim...Jesus!]
      Leanne Noelle Chun <leanne.chun@myldsmail.net>
Nov 5 at 5:21 PM

Wow, I feel like a lot of things happened this week. Amazing the things that can 생겨쓰 while you're on the mission. :) 

First of all, we got new phones! Apparently when one of the area presidency visited our mission a while back he told us that they were using better phones in Africa in 2004 than we were using in South Korea in 2017. 😏 So! New phones were in order. When it was confirmed that they were going to be smartphones, we half-jokingly assumed that they would be the exact same grandma phone just with touch screen (because this is Korea, and in Korea the flip phones are touch screen), but we got them on Tuesday and they are beautiful, black, brand new Samsung something. :) Sister Castro and I were definitely fan-girling. 

We went to lunch with one of our Young Woman for her birthday. She home-schools, and as a result her social life is sort of lacking (always saying she doesn't have friends), so we went to the open market to enjoy some good old-fashioned street food. Don't worry, we ate only the freshly-made stuff. In fact, we burned the inside of our mouths really bad. It was awesome. 

I really love DongHae, mostly because of the people. Although, I think that would be true of any where I serve in Korea. These people are fantastic! I love them so much, and I'm so grateful for the opportunity to get to know them and serve them. I'm learning a lot about the gospel, God and His children, and about myself. It can get a little difficult, but I'm pretty sure I only remember the good stuff. :) 

I love you all! I hope you have a good week! Be safe and have fun!

Love,

Sister Chun

PS - Sister Castro and I are going to go to the 운동장 today... we'll see if any 운동-ing happens. :) 

View of 삼척 [Sam Jeok] at night
Every time we walk around this corner I think this dummy is some
Gollum squatting on the side of the sidewalk. 
This cafe is right outside the bus terminal.
We haven't been inside yet, because it looks expensive,
but we fan girl about it when we walk by it.
Look at how shiny and new it is! We definitely forgot how to use smartphones,
so Elder 이홍빈 had to talk us--very slowly--through the set up.
Last picture with the Grandma phone!

Nothing like a day out walking!
Sister Castro has never seen fall before...

There was a path!
There were giant stepping stones across this river, so we thought _why not__ and this delightful thing was in the center of the river. Not sure why, but it looked really cool.

Middle of the river!
We saw this 남자 [nahmjah, man] squatting across the giant river.
I'm very impressed with the zooming capabilities of this camera...
It's that 남자.
Trying to be a photographer. ㅋㅋ
Walking around 삼척 and we saw this beautiful Buddhist temple.
We found a giant outdoor ampitheater! It looks a little ghetto,
but it felt pretty good to stand center stage and pretend I'm Adele. ㅎㅎ
We're still not sure what that is, but it definitely looks like a giant cake...
Sister Castro is Rocky! But prettier. And more dainty.
This 외국인 [foreign] baby... He was so giant...

Picture with the new phone. Sister Castro and my hair are getting so long!
김수현s [Kim Su Hyun's] birthday! She showed us around the market
and got us all the delicious street food.
Good day for the eating part. 
These delicious balls of octopus are the evil things that I burned my mouth on.
But SO good. 
Fish cake! People just stand around and eat as many of these as they want, and then they give all the used sticks to the owner and pay accordingly (one stick is about 50 cents).
I officially ate fish cake, and it was delightful.
Legit, not terrible. Still not my favorite, but I can eat it. _)
Eating fishcake like a boss. Or a turtle. But either way, she's gorgeous. 
Street food. Found out its name is Konglish for _hot bar_.
Not going to lie, it took me longer than it should have to realize that...
... the food was so hot. And we can edit photos on our phone now...
Hurray for birthday! 

Family home evening! We played 007뺑! Such a blast!

Oh my gosh, we ate this crab and it was mind-bogglingly delicious. And very satisfying, since there's not really a dainty way to eat it other than breaking it at the joints and sucking out the meat. 

We ate dat crab.

Hey, I don't mean to be vain, but I kind of like this picture.
The great thing about smartphones is the new and improved selfie capability.

No comments:

Post a Comment